Algeria — History

[From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia]
Algeria or specific-bookish El-Джазаир (Arab. مدينة الجزائر, Madīnat al-Jazā’ir, FR. Alger) is the capital and largest city of Algeria. The name of the city is derived from «al-Джазаир», that in translation from Arab means «the island», as earlier next to the city there were 4 of the island, which become part of the mainland in 1525. The administrative center of the вилайи Algeria. The population of 1.6 million people. and agglomeration of about 5 million inhabitants. Geographical coordinates: 36 degrees 47′ S. sh. 3 degrees 04′ E. / 36.783333 degrees C. W. 3.066667 degrees C. d. (G) (O). Stands on the Mediterranean sea. In 2011 opened the Algerian Metropolitan and the Algerian tram.

The modern part of the city stretches along the coast, the ancient part of town climbing up the steep hill, on top of which is the citadel — about 140 meters above sea level. The citadel, and two berths form a triangle.

The city was founded in the year 944[1] on the site of the ruins of a small Roman settlement Икозиум. Originally it belonged to the Arabs, then the Turks. In the XVI century, the city tried to capture the Spaniards, but they were soon driven out from there. After that Algeria became the main base of the Ottoman pirates. In 1830, the city occupied by the French and turned it into the capital of the colony.

During the Second world war in Algeria housed the headquarters of allied command[2]. After the end of the war for the independence of Algeria — the capital of the state

Добавить комментарий