Michurinsk (Russian: Мичу́ринск) is the second most populous town in Tambov Oblast, Russia. Population: 98,758 (2010 Census); 96,093 (2002 Census); 109,081 (1989 Census).
Originally known as Kozlov (Козло́в), it was founded in 1635 at the northern end of the emerging Belgorod Line. A 25-kilometer (16 mi) earthen wall was built eastward across the open steppe effectively blocking the Nogai Trail, a Tatar raiding route. The success of this line led to the building of further lines further south. The settlement was granted town status in 1779.
The town was renamed Michurinsk in 1932 after Ivan Michurin, a practitioner of selection.