Repino (Russian: Ре́пино) is a municipal settlement in Kurortny District of the federal city of St. Petersburg, Russia, and a station of the Saint Petersburg-Vyborg railroad. It was known by its Finnish name Kuokkala until 1948, when it was renamed after its most famous inhabitant, Ilya Repin. It is located approximately 30 kilometers (19 mi) northwest of St. Petersburg proper, on the Karelian Isthmus on the shore of the Gulf of Finland. Population: 2,467 (2010 Census preliminary results); 2,011 (2002 Census); 4,215 (1989 Census).
The settlement is known for Repin’s estate Penaty and for its sanatorium.
At the beginning of the 20th century, Repino (then Kuokkala) was located in the Grand Duchy of Finland, a part of the Russian Empire. Shortly after the October Revolution in 1917, Finland declared its independence from the Soviet Union. When the Karelian Isthmus was ceded by Finland to the Soviet Union after the Winter War and the Continuation War (1939–1944), Kuokkala became Russian. In 1948, it was renamed Repino in honor of the painter Ilya Repin