Shuya (Russian: Шу́я) is the third largest town in Ivanovo Oblast, Russia; located on the Teza River. Population: 58,486 (2010 Census); 62,449 (2002 Census); 69,362 (1989 Census).
The first record of Shuya is dated by 1393. Since 1403, the area was held by a branch of the House of Suzdal, which got their name «Shuysky» after the town. In 1539, the town was sacked by Safa Giray of Kazan. In 1566, it was taken by Ivan the Terrible as his personal property into Oprichnina. In 1722, the town was visited by Peter the Great, who launched textile manufacturing there. Town status was granted to it in 1778. By the 19th century, Shuya was developed into a major flax-processing center, although it has been since superseded in importance by the neighboring town of Ivanovo.