Siversky (Russian: Си́верский) is an urban locality (an urban-type settlement) in Gatchinsky District of Leningrad Oblast, Russia, located on the bank of the Oredezh River. Population: 12,216 (2010 Census); 12,137 (2002 Census); 11,885 (1989 Census).
According to locals, Siversky is one of the only places in the world where the banks of river are lined with red sand, suggesting an iron presence in the Oredezh River or surrounding soil.
The Siverskaya railway station was opened in 1857. It soon became a popular place for summer holiday leave for middle-class inhabitants of Saint Petersburg. At the time, the settlement of Siverskaya belonged to Tsarskoselsky Uyezd of Saint Petersburg Governorate (renamed in 1913 Petrograd Governorate and in 1924 Leningrad Governorate). On November 20, 1918 the uyezd was renamed Detskoselsky. On February 14, 1923 Detskoselsky and Petergofsky Uyezds were abolished and merged into Gatchinsky Uyezd, with the administrative center located in Gatchina. On February 14, 1923 Gatchina was renamed Trotsk, and Gatchinsky Uyezd was renamed Trotsky Uyezd, after Leon Trotsky.
On August 1, 1927, the uyezds were abolished and Trotsky District, with the administrative center in the town of Trotsk, was established. The governorates were also abolished, and the district was a part of Leningrad Okrug of Leningrad Oblast. On August 2, 1929, after Trotsky was deported from Soviet Union, Trotsk was renamed Krasnogvardeysk, and the district was renamed Krasnogvardeysky. On July 23, 1930, the okrugs were abolished as well, and the districts were directly subordinated to the oblast. On November 27, 1938 the suburban settlements of Siverskaya, Kezevo, Dernovsky, and Druzhnoselye were merged into the settlement of Siversky, which was granted urban-type settlement status. On January 28, 1944 Krasnogvardeysk was renamed Gatchina, and the district was renamed Gatchinsky