Soltsy (Russian: Сольцы́) is a town and the administrative center of Soletsky District of Novgorod Oblast, Russia, located on the left bank of the Shelon River, 78 kilometers (48 mi) southwest of Veliky Novgorod. Its name owes to the nearby salt water springs. Population: 10,086 (2010 Census); 11,264 (2002 Census); 11,782 (1989 Census).
Soltsy was first mentioned in a chronicle in 1390 and in the following played an important role as an intermediate station on the trade route connecting Novgorod and Pskov. In 1471, the Battle of Shelon between Muscovite forces led by Ivan III and the army of the Novgorod Republic took place near Soltsy, which marked the end of political independence of the Novgorod Republic. Soltsy eventually were moved to the Moscow State. In the course of the administrative reform carried out in 1708 by Peter the Great, the area was included into Ingermanland Governorate (known since 1710 as Saint Petersburg Governorate). In 1727, separate Novgorod Governorate was split off, and in 1772, Pskov Governorate was established. (Between 1777 and 1796, it existed as Pskov Viceroyalty). In 1776, Porkhovsky Uyezd was transferred from Novgorod Governorate to Pskov Governorate. Soltsy was the center of Soletskaya Volost of Porkhovsky Uyezd.
On August 1, 1927, the uyezds were abolished, and Soletsky District was established, with the center in the Soltsy. Pskov Governorate was abolished as well, and the district belonged to Novgorod Okrug of Leningrad Oblast. Simultaneously, Soltsy was granted the town status. On July 23, 1930 the okrugs were abolished, and the districts became directly subordinate to the oblast. Between 1941 and 1944 Soltsy was occupied by German troops. On July 5, 1944, Soltsy together with Soletsky District was transferred to newly established Novgorod Oblast.