[From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia]
Beloostrov (Russian: Белоо́стров; Finnish: Valkeasaari, both meaning lit. White Island), from 1922 to World War II—Krasnoostrov (Красноо́стров, lit. Red Island), is a municipal settlement in Kurortny District of the federal city of Saint Petersburg, Russia, located on the Sestra River, Karelian Isthmus. Population: 2,169 (2010 Census preliminary results); 1,690 (2002 Census); 1,405 (1989 Census).
Beloostrov historically consists of two parts: Novy Beloostrov (Russian: Но́вый Белоо́стров, New White Island; Finnish: Uusi Valkeasaari) along the railway and Stary Beloostrov (Russian: Ста́рый Белоо́стров, Old White Island; Finnish: Vanha Valkeasaari) several kilometers to the north, mostly belonging to Vsevolozhsky District of Leningrad Oblast under the name Sadovodstva (Russian: Садоводства). Until the Winter War Beloostrov was the last railway station before the Russia–Finland border.