[From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia]
Morshansk (Russian: Морша́нск) is a town in Tambov Oblast, Russia, located on the Tsna River (Oka’s basin) 93 kilometers (58 mi) north of Tambov. Population: 41,556 (2010 Census); 44,486 (2002 Census); 50,055 (1989 Census); 44,000 (1970).
The exact origins of Morshansk are unknown; however, documents mention a populated place in this location since at least the 16th century. Formerly a village called Morsha (Морша), it was granted town status in 1779 by Catherine the Great because of its growth in relation to the fact that it was a major bread trading center on the Tsna River.