[From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia]
Pereslavl-Zalessky (Russian: Переславль-Залесский; IPA: [pʲɪrʲɪˈslavlʲ zɐˈlʲeskʲɪj], lit. Pereslavl, which is located behind the woods), also known as Pereyaslavl-Zalessky, is a town in Yaroslavl Oblast, Russia, located 140 kilometers (87 mi) northeast of Moscow on the main Moscow–Yaroslavl road and on the southeastern shore of Lake Pleshcheyevo at the mouth of the Trubezh River. Population: 41,925 (2010 Census); 43,379 (2002 Census); 42,331 (1989 Census).
Known as Pereyaslavl until the 15th century, it was founded in 1152 by Prince Yury Dolgoruky as a projected capital of Zalesye. In 1175–1302, the town was the center of the Principality of Pereyaslavl. In 1302, the town became a part of the Grand Duchy of Moscow. Pereslavl-Zalessky had been devastated numerous times by the Mongols between the mid-13th century and the early 15th century. In 1611–1612, it suffered from the Polish invasion.
In 1688–1693, Peter the Great built his famous «fun flotilla» on Lake Pleshcheyevo for his own amusement, including the so-called Peter’s little boat, which would be considered the forefather of the Russian fleet. The Botik (small boat) museum chronicles the history of the first Russian fleet and keeps one of the original model boats.
In 1708, the town became a part of Moscow Governorate.